Friday, October 24, 2008

Traditional Japan: Coco Moon in Shizuoka

Arrival
Welcome!
I arrived to Kakegawa to find Runaway Rosie waiting for me...what a wonderful welcome!

She immediately took me to see some of the local handcraft that is prevalent here in the Shizuoka prefecture.
Just as she we were heading out of the station,We noticed a shop selling local crafts and decided to have a look. While I enjoy the modern street punk and lolita fashions of places like Harajuku in Tokyo,I also feels that its important for young Japanese to remember and respect their old traditions too.
This gentleman is Mr.Hanamori.He is carving geta-traditional Japanese wooden sandals,worn with kimono.This style is called Suruga nuri.Suruga is another name for the Shizuoka area around the coast of Suruga Bay,which leads to the Pacific Ocean.
Suruga nuri geta

traditional geta
This colour navy is called 紺(kon)in Japanese and its a very traditional colour dye.I think it goes very well with wood colours,and the splash of red is really cute.
Mr.Hanamori and Coco Moon
Thank you very much Mr.Hanamori for letting us take pictures of you and your work.

I arrived to Kakegawa on a rainy,stormy day....Rosie tells me that Amelie has tea waiting for us...lets not keep Amelie waiting any longer!!(Besides, I hear that Kakegawa is famous for its tea!)

No comments: